Friday 11 November 2011

~THE INQUISITIVE MIND OF A CHILD~

A Poem for Remembrance Day

Why are they selling poppies, Mummy
Selling poppies in town today?
The poppies, child, are flowers of love.
For the men who marched away.

But why have they chosen a poppy, Mummy?
Why not a beautiful rose?
Because my child, men fought and died
In the fields where the poppies grow.

But why are the poppies so red, Mummy?
Why are the poppies so red?
Red is the colour of blood, my child
The blood that our soldiers shed.

The heart of the poppy is black, Mummy.
Why does it have to be black?
Black, my child, is the symbol of grief
For the men who never came back.

But why Mummy, are you crying so?
Your tears are giving you pain.
My tears are my fears for you my child;
For the world is forgetting again.

Anon.

Found and given to us on Twitter by @KibbsHobnobbins, and @LilyHobnobbins

No comments:

Post a Comment